Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Why I Believe Im in the TRUE RELIGION


Before we proceed, I know that for most people, religion is a taboo topic. I am also clearly aware that almost every religion claims that it is the true faith, and for some individuals, there is not even such a thing as ‘true faith’. We may even have a different point of view about the meaning of the word ‘religion’. It doesn't matter though. Regardless of what religion or belief you currently have, you will just be reading my personal perspective. You may react in any way you want, but yes, I am boldly claiming that I found the true religion.

I am one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. But this article is not in any way endorsed by the Watchtower Society.

For the readers of this blog (especially for a blogger/office mate friend of mine who is a self-claimed agnostic) who are non-Witnesses, please know that I sincerely respect your beliefs and opinions. I am not writing this to imply that you are in the wrong course of life, not at all. It is also not my purpose to initiate an opposition to whatever dissimilar viewpoints we have. This blog article is not written to convince you to ‘switch over’. At the very least, I hope you would just appreciate the Witnesses even if you are not one. I just really want you to have an idea on how I see things from my standpoint, and to be unbiased, I will use a third person’s way of stating things...

I am not going to discuss the doctrines of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Although I am greatly convinced that their teachings are in accordance with the Bible and it is one of the main reasons why I'm a JW, Id prefer to discuss things that I see. I think it would be practical to avoid debating about doctrines and teachings for now,and if you really want to observe if a religion is true or not, its really better to look at how people apply what they say. That is right, walk the talk. Most religion would say a lot of good things, but would act differently. Anyway, what Jesus said was : By their fruits you will recognize them...” (Matthew 7:16)

So , the following are some of the reasons why I believe that the Witnesses are indeed in the truth:

  1. They show genuine love for each other and for their community.

During WWII, while majority of religious leaders would convince their ‘sheep’ to defend their country by killing soldiers from the enemy nation, there is this group of people who are either imprisoned, tortured, or killed in their own country because they refused to join the war. The Witnesses. The reason? They love their neighbor regardless of what country or nationality that neighbor belongs to. They refuse to hold arms and shoot a fellow human being.

Until now, in some countries, many Jehovah’s Witnesses are imprisoned just so because they refuse military service.

This may sound too ideal, but in reality their love for each other transcends all types of cultures, skin color, race, and economic status. There is equality among their members. They are not perfect individuals, and just like the apostles during early Christianity, they sometimes have their conflict. But because of love, they cover each other through true forgiveness and consideration. They would never give consent to gross wrongdoing, but at the same time they earnestly reach out to those who are sincerely repenting.

By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves” (John 13:35)

  1. They uphold high moral values which I know are very beneficial in today’s environment.

In reference to Jehovah’s Witnesses, WIKIPEDIA states “Their view of morality reflects conservative Christian values. All sexual relations outside of marriage are grounds for expulsion (disfellowshipping) if the accused is not deemed repentant.Abortion is considered murder. Modesty in dress and grooming is frequently emphasized. Gambling, drunkenness, illegal drugs, and tobacco use are forbidden” (Italic is mine).

Again, I am not saying that they are “sinless” perfect individuals. But despite the imperfection, they strive to follow what is right according to the Bible. And because they do so, their quality of living is , for me, quite outstanding.

Its true that most Christian religion would also uphold these moral values, but if you are gonna observe majority of their flock, are they really upholding to these values?

  1. They are, in the real sense of the word, happy.

Nowadays, its a fact that if you are too rich, you are miserable. If you are too poor, you are miserable. But the Witnesses have this inner contentment. They are satisfied with what they have. No matter what their economic status is, you would see them knocking door to door happy in what they are doing. I'm serious, if you would really have the opportunity of associating with them even for just a day, you would truly understand what I mean when I say that they are indeed happy people. =)

"Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need..."Matthew 5:3

  1. They refuse to join politics.

The Witnesses are politically neutral. They don't take sides, since they only acknowledge Jesus as their leader. When Jesus was on earth, he refused to join politics too; several times eventhough he had all the means if he wanted to. Same thing with early Christianity, apostles refused to get involved with politics. For me, it is one thing that separates them from all other religions, especially during the election (if you're in the Philippines, I think you will appreciate this fact more... ^^)

Those listed above are just the few among many reasons. I hope you would also realize why the Witnesses would voluntarily sacrifice time, effort, and expenses just to reach out to people and share beneficial Biblical teachings. I hope you would also have the opportunity of knowing more about Jehovah, the only true God that Jesus Christ himself worshiped. (John 20:17) If you have questions about the belief or interested in getting literature published by Jehovah’s Witnesses, please do not hesitate to visit www.watchtower.org.

2 comments:

  1. I certainly respect your Ideals--if I may say it that way. But I would have to say no one can say their religion is the WAY and the TRUTH and the correct or the only almost near the RIGHT one.

    Religion is based on dogma, doctrines and so forth in some way rules are rules and we respect that, each founded according to a group of individuals who share the same/common belief.

    Other faiths and beliefs do they come second only to your FAITH because your ideals is better--maybe you believe it to be that way (subjective).


    Believing in a higher being (some call him Jehovah, Jesus, God, Allah, and many others) requires no religion to be in.

    God does not care whether you are a JW or not I believe God holds you accountable for who you are becomming and who you chose to become not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I strongly disagree with this comment. >.< So shallow and boxed.

    ReplyDelete